Saturday, September 29, 2012

Sharing Web Resources Week 4

While looking over the website (www.acei.org) this week, I came across the blog article titled "Promoting a Positive Childhood" and found it really interesting because of what we have talked about recently. They list some things that are important for every child and you could build on the list by leaving a comment. Here is the list:

Ten Pillars of a Good Childhood

1. Safe and secure places for living, with learning and access to health care, clothing, and nutritious food

2. Strong families and loving, consistent caregivers

3. Social interactions and friendships

4. Creative play and physical activity

5. Appreciation and stewardship of the natural environment

6. Creative expression through music, dance, drama, and the other arts

7. Education that develops the full capacities of the child—cognitive, physical, social, emotional, and ethical

8. Supportive, nurturing, child-friendly communities

9. Growing independence and decision making

10. Children and youth participating in community life.

I am very interested in the "Decade for Childhood 2012-2022". In this time we all need to put more energy into giving our children back their "childhood" and freedom to express themselves instead of making them conform toso much structure. Children need to be allowed to be CHILDREN! The Decade for Children was jsut so interesting for me and has so much information that pertains to everyone that has anything to do with children. Advocates from everywhere are involved with this and I have found myself joining and hope to do more with this project-just waiting for them to get back in touch with me. Our economy is vital to the health of our children so economists and others in these fields are involved by helping with research and hopefully more politicians will spend more energy on our children and less on politics. There are so many different links on this site that I am still exploring-but anything to do with global children and helping around the world and at home are on my list of things to do and advocate for.

One of the comments on the blog page had this listed and I thought it was perfect for sharing here: Thank you Aileen Puurveen-Abma

“S” social development “I can learn to reach out to others, share and have friends”

“P” physical development “I can learn to move my body that best expresses my abilities”.

“E” emotional development “I can learn to believe in myself and love who I am”.

“C” Cultural development “I can learn and celebrate who I am in the context of others”.

“I” Intellectual/ cognitive development “I can learn to succeed to the greatest of my ability”.

“A” Artistic development. “I can learn to freely express myself through the arts”.

“L” Language and land development. “I can learn to communicate to others and to the earth itself”.

This website has many areas that are adding to my knowledge about how to help children everywhere and how to get others involved by sharing this information with them.

3 comments:

  1. I really like both of your posts. I don't think teachers or parents really see how important social, physical, emotional and cultural really is and how we must look at the whole child when we are teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your quotation of "Ten Pillars of a Good Childhood". This is very true and I can relate to trying to teach this with my students. Sometimes academics are put in such a high priority that life skills are weaken. The middle of the road is sometimes hard to find between these two concepts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post is very interesting I do agree that children should get all of the help that is provided for them. If it is not given to them how will they get the help that they need. I do believe that play is very important for children and it should not be taken away. Children learn through play as well as develop in their social skills.

    ReplyDelete