Saturday, December 22, 2012

When I Think of Research

Blog Week 8

Insights that I have gained over the last eight weeks would be how hard it is for me to truly understand research and the amount of time that will need to go into a real research study. I understand that this was a learning experience for us all, but I do think I have more knowledge base for if I really take part in a research study. I have also become better at finding sources that I can rely on for my research. When it comes to doing research I think that I have more respect for those that take on the responsibility of digging deeper into a topic through research to help us gain more knowledge when it comes to children across a wide spectrum. If and when I am called upon to participate in any research I believe I can add valuable insight to help the research study. When starting any research you will need to step back and ask yourself so questions to make sure you are implementing the study for valid reasons that will help the participants as well as other researchers. You need to make sure you plan how you will do the research, who will be involved, what design will work best for you, and how the topic will help others. When taking on research there are many layers that need to be looked at and evaluated before starting and this takes time-but if done with care and respect for everyone the results can be beneficial for everyone. My main challenge was picking the one age group of dyslexia to focus on that would give me the best results. I had to make sure I could find enough children to study and then find reliable data to compile. My perceptions of being an early childhood professional have changed in respect to how important it is to understand how research helps us do our job and our input is valuable to the research field. As professionals we need to always remember that our goal is to give the best to our children and families and this means we provide a welcoming, safe and loving place for them at all times.

2 comments:

  1. Susan, research becomes sometimes a hard journey, but absolutely worthwhile. Can you imagine how many issues could we minimize in our field if we become committed researchers? Hopefully the knowledge we gained through this course may be used seriously to help our children and their families in a better way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that it is a hard journey-but I have learned so much from everyone and hope to continue the learning process. It has always been my goal to help all children in any way I can!!

    ReplyDelete