Saturday, November 17, 2012

Week 3-EDUC-6163

Blog Assignment: Research that Benefits Children and Families-Uplifting Stories

I have worked with young children in some way since I was fifteen and have seen many things over the years. What I would like to look further into on behalf of children is the affects of divorce/separation. I think it is important for us to understand how this affects children and how important it is for them to have both parents involved as they grow up. Sometimes when families break up it is polite on all sides and then again you have the other side of the spectrum-battles between parents or worse keeping the child/children from the other parent. This is close to me because my son is going through the second type and he is not allowed to see or talk to his son at all. I think a study on the effects this has on children would be good data and it could be compared to children that are from non-divorced families.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your post. I too think this could be a very interesting research study since each child and family handles divorce and separation differently. I too have seen the families that are amicable and the parents truly work together to co-parent. I have also seen the families where the parents do not get along and put their child in the middle of their issues. Additionally, I have had students where one parent takes them and runs and you are left wondering what has happened to them and if they are okay. In my opinion a research study on the topic of separation and divorce might open parents’ eyes to the fact that even if their children are young when this takes place it does affect them. It would also help to show parents that their actions have consequences whether they be positive consequences or negative consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,
    This is a concern many children are affected by the separated of parents and not able to see them. My son had to deal with his father not coming to see him or do anything for him. The father had permission to see his son but he chose not to and now he is trying to make up for that but my son does not want to be bother. My son is 19 now he has have behavior problem where I had to take him to counsling for this situation. After getting help and talking to my son and let him tell me how he feels has help him and me because I was able to speak positive things to him and let him know that no matter whatever his father does still respect him because God will get him for the wrong he has done to him. I keep speaking postive things to him never talk about his father to him he grow up and seen the negative things about his father himself.

    ReplyDelete