Saturday, May 5, 2012


Blog Assignment Week 1 EDUC-6160





Write about a personal birthing experience. It can be your own birth, your child's birth, or one you took part in. What do you remember about the event? Why did you choose this example? What are your thoughts regarding birth and its impact on child development?



The birthing experience I chose is when I had my daughter. I remember most of this because I was having my second C-Section and was able to be awake for everything. When I had my son I was put under because it turned out he was too big for a natural birth and I was a small framed person and this is why I chose his sister’s birth. I was able to pick the date I wanted to have her (so I could spend Christmas with my son) and then move on to recuperating. I went in the night before to get ready and then in the morning everything just went fairly quick. They gave me the epidural and then after about 10-15 minutes they checked to see if I could feel anything and when I couldn’t they started the C-section. What I remember from the prep before having her is the doctors and nurses talking to me as they did each step so I knew what was happening the whole time. I do remember the pressure from when they were taking my daughter from my body and the joy and excitement when I was able to see and hold her for the first time. I chose this one because it is the one that I was awake for and really remember. My thoughts on birth and the impact on child development are that we really do need to have some idea about child development when thinking about having children.





Choose a region of the world or a country, other than the U.S., and find out how births happen there. Write about what you learned, and the differences and similarities with your experience (in the personal example you provided). What additional insights, if any, about the impact of the birthing experience on development, did you gain from this comparison?





I chose Turkey for this half of my blog assignment, in Turkey most births where supervised by midwives as recently as 20 years ago because there was a shortage of doctors. However, now most do use doctors and many Turkish women elect to have c-sections done (a rate of 75%) according to Kybele, a U.S. nonprofit group that is for safe childbirth practices in developing countries. A main reason for this is not enough people trained in obstetric anesthesia. By using general anesthesia Turkey has one of the highest maternal mortality rates in Europe. Local customs for Turkey are that all celebrations are done after the baby is born, plus, mother and baby stay home for the first twenty day after birth. Friends come by and drink a special beverage called lohusa serbeti. After the twenty days the mother and baby can make return visits to friends. The baby also gets flour rubbed on their eyebrows and hairline which is supposed to grant a long life.



References:

Berger, K. S. (2009). The developing person through childhood (5th ed.). New York, NY: Worth Publishers.



Birth Customs Around the World: http://www.parents.com/pregnancy/giving-birth/vaginal/birth-customs-around-the-world/

10 comments:

  1. Hi Susan,

    I enjoyed reading your blog post and learning about your personal experience. I opted to give birth to my boys by C-section too. It was a great experience, however the recovery was a little bit difficult, but I was able to recover quickly because I was so overjoyed with meeting my boys for the first time.

    However, many people I know oppose the concept of delivering by C-section. They claim that giving birth naturally is better and healthier for the baby and mother. What is your take on that? Do you believe that it makes a difference whether a child is born by C-section or naturally and why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me I don't really think it makes a difference how your baby is born (natural or c-section), what matters is the bond that is formed and that can still be done either way. Even though I was out for my son's birth-as soon as I held him and started feeding him I could feel the connection being formed and we are still close to this day. My daughter is the same-so no I don't think it matters.

      Delete
  2. Hello Susan, Thanks for your information about the coaching process about c-sections. I too had two c-sections. The first one was emergency and the second was a scheduled one. The doctor did not tell me what was going on because I was heavily sedated, but I felt my daughter being taken out of me and My hubby saw her come out full head of hair and all. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Susan
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. As you I also have had two C-sections. The first one was for the same reason you had yours but the second one was because it was a high risk pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan,

    I really never thought about Turkey. The information you provided was very interesting. I will view the website to read more of the article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan,
    Thanks for the insight on your birthing experience. I too had two c-sections with my first one being an emergency and my second one I got to choose the day. After reading all of your responses I never thought of so many people having c-section babies that was interesting to me as well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you there is need to have adequate information about child development before having, it would help us prepare well as expectant mothers and finally a mother to be able to take proper care of the fetus as well as the baby when it is born.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you comment on the importance of understanding child development when having children of your own. That is one of my goals as a teacher, is to help the parents to understand their child's development. I have experienced parents who have and have not understood the importance of childhood development and it makes a difference of the child's success in the classroom

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also had a C-Section with my second child. You did an excellent job explaining your experience because it was exactly the way I remembered my C-Section. I'm glad the joy you felt after seeing your child for the first time. It's no other feeling in the world that even compares to that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan, I do not know the rate of mortality in my country Guatemala (third world country). But, I almost die because the hospital where I gave birth did not have safe and healthy childbirth practices.

    ReplyDelete