Saturday, May 12, 2012

Week 2: Breastfeeding




Breastfeeding

I chose breastfeeding because it is a very important issue and one that needs to be talked about more and not pushed under the carpet. In the United States it is a topic that people don’t like to talk about and it just so natural for a mother and child to have this connection from birth. Breastfeeding is very important for a child’s healthy development and there are many benefits for both mother and child. I breastfed both my children (both until 6 ½ to 7 months and I stopped then because when the teeth start coming in OUCH) and I think it helped us to bond better and they had less colds and other health problems growing up. I believe that every mother should try to breast feed unless there are health problems that prevent it. My daughter has breastfed her children as well and I think they have done very well also. Some things about breastfeeding that I feel are important: Breastfeeding protects babies, breastfeeding should last at least the first six months, breastfeeding helps the mother’s body and also breastfeeding helps the child fight illnesses through the nutrients in the mother’s milk.

I found many sites with information about breastfeeding around the world and it can vary depending on where you are. There are many factors to look at in regard to breastfeeding, social issues, workplace issues and the country you live in. according to the World Health Organization, globally less than 40% of infants under six months of age are exclusively breastfed (“10 facts on breastfeeding,” 2012). Optimal breastfeeding together with complementary feeding help prevent malnutrition and can save about a million child lives. The Philippines is one of the leaders in international efforts to promote and protect women’s right to breastfeed. The country has implemented laws to control aggressive marketing by formula companies and their false claims that formula makes babies smarter. The WHO estimated that the nation’s total lost wages from caring for formula-fed children with diarrhea and acute respiratory infections during the first six months of life was 1 billion pesos ($23.4 million). Eighty-eight percent of Filipino babies are breastfed at birth and 34% are exclusively breastfed up to five months of age (www.incultureparent.com).

Share ways the information you have learned may impact your future work

This information will not really change my work because I work with preschool children; however, some of my children have newborn siblings. My center does care for infants six weeks of age, so I may find that I could share this information with my co-workers that work with the infants. I know this information will come in handy when I finally get to open my own school after I finish my Master’s program. My daughter and I want to care for infants because it is so hard for mothers to find quality care for these very important young children when they have to go back to work. I say this because my daughter had this problem and ended up being a stay at home mom because she couldn’t find a place that she really felt comfortable with and I am in the mindset that if you can stay home at least for the first year-DO IT!

References:

(2012). 10 facts on breastfeeding. World Health Organization, retrieved from http://www.who.int/features/factfiles/breastfeeding/en/index.html


La Leche League International; http://www.llli.org/toolkit






5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting on the topic of breastfeeding. I agree that in America it is a topic that we have really pushed under the rug. I think that as Americans we tend to find the short cuts to life and the easy way out. My husband and I have deiced that we will be breastfeeding our baby. The only thing we disagree on is the length of time. In my husband culture the mother is expected to breastfeed the child, until the child stops asking to be breastfed. It is interesting to see how different cultures review the importance of breastfeeding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan,

    Thank you for discussing this important issue. Breastfeeding is extremely important for young infants because it really benefits them especially with their health. Personally, I was unable to breastfeed both my sons for more than three months due to health reasons. It upset me because I, too, believe that breastfeeding children until they turn 6 months is ideal.

    In your opinion, what are the best ways to encourage mothers, who have a choice, to breastfeed their infants until 6 months?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if mothers are given the information and even have a group that deals with breastfeeding for new mothers, it may encourage them to try longer. I understand that sometimes it's not possible to breastfeed that long or even at all-but videos, fact sheets, word of mouth are some ways to help encourage new mothers.

      Delete
  3. Susan, I appreciate your comments. I think that breastfeeding not only benefits children physical condition, but also benefits their emotionality and spirituality. Breast feeding let mothers and children share great experiences of joy. No doubt that it is a natural act of love that mothers can do for their babies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan,
    I breastfed my middle child because the doctors thought she would benefit from it by her being premature. They also said it would help developmentally. I was glad she accepted the breast milk with no problems.

    ReplyDelete