Friday, March 15, 2013

Week Two-Communicating

Blog Week 2

What do you think the characters' relationships are based on the ways in which they are communicating?

For this episode of “The Office”, the members of the office are at their desks working while Andy and David are in the conference room having what seems to be a heated conversation. It seems like everyone else is trying to look busy, but they keep looking at the closed door. The facial expressions that I see make me believe that nobody really agrees with each other about whatever is going on. The body language and expressions throughout suggest that most of the staff is uncomfortable about the argument that is going on. Andy then brings in former friends of Erin and Pete’s and this seems to make the whole office uncomfortable. What are they feeling and expressing based on the nonverbal behavior you are observing?

It seems that everyone is pretending and hiding things from each other the whole episode and do not like what Andy is doing.

What assumptions did you make about the characters and plot based on the ways in which you interpreted the communication you observed?

I assumed that Andy was over reacting to something in the office, but didn’t know what or why. Andy is the office manager and I assumed he should be acting in a more professional way when it came to dealing with a personal situation at work. He should have set down in the beginning and asked questions and not played the jealous boyfriend. Would your assumptions have been more correct if you had been watching a show you know well?

I think if I were watching a familiar show my assumptions would have been correct because I know what to expect from each member of the cast. I can anticipate their reactions and understand their body movements most of the time.

1 comment:

  1. During this week's assignment I found it difficult to judge a TV show just based on nonverbal cues. I feel you made some accurate assumptions based on your viewing with no sound. I know this week taught me about the blending of different communication and I hope it did for you as well!

    ReplyDelete