Saturday, September 14, 2013

Week 2 Post


Exploring Roles in the ECE Community: Local and State Levels

I am interested in this agency because they will be able to help me contact more people that can help me with my goal of helping families in the low-income bracket. They have a wide range of agencies that focus on different areas of need. The social services department works to make every family and individual gain independence from any problem that could happen. This agency does not cost anything for families which makes it appealing to everyone. There are no jobs available at this time in this local area.

Even though there are no current jobs I think I would be a good fit for this agency because of my training and diverse background from living in many places. I could see myself working in the areas of teaching parents about how to get involved with the schools and other groups in their community. Sharing resources with families would be a great way to expand my knowledge and help the families at the same time. Skills I will need to continue improving will be speaking in a group and writing proposals.

Virginia Department of Social Services, www.dss.virginia.gov

Another great agency is the National Association for the Education of young Children (NAEYC), I have belonged to this for many years and it helps me to gain new information from their site by listing new information that is important to the field of early childhood. It has helped me connect to professionals across the United States during conferences and online interactions. They now offer learning opportunities online that are focused on areas that change often. Job opportunities (both paid and unpaid) are available at most times.

National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) http://www.naeyc.org

This agency is great because they work with the problem that I am interested in pursuing during this class and beyond. This Office of Child Care (OCC) supports low-income working families by providing access to affordable, high-quality early care and afterschool programs. OCC administers the Child Care and Development Fund (CCDF) and works with state, territory and tribal governments to provide support for children and their families juggling work schedules and struggling to find child care programs that will fit their needs and that will prepare children to succeed in school. Even though they work toward helping families in the low-income bracket more help is needed and I hope to be part of their team. I have contacted them already and look forward to starting a new phase of my career, adding it to my full time job at the center I currently work at. I would be doing volunteer work to start and continue learning new ways to help in my community.

Office of Child Care, www.acf.hhs.gov

All of these agencies and many more are available to me and I plan on looking into more as time goes on so that I will have more CoP’s for resources.

1 comment:

  1. Susan,

    The NAEYC is a great organization that helps with connecting professionals with resources that are needed to teach young children developmentally appropriate. Until I began to search for organizations and agencies national and local I did not know so many were available to assist in the early childhood field.

    ReplyDelete