Saturday, February 2, 2013

Week 4: Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions

Blog: Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions

Something that I have seen this week and over my time working with people around the world is racism. Everywhere I have worked there is a diverse collection of women in each classroom and I have seen how one group or person will treat someone that is different. In my place of work Caucasian people are the minority and Hispanic is the majority. That said I have noticed Caucasian’s talking behind others backs and making comments about how the Hispanic group needs to speak English when they are in a group of multiple cultures. I have seen this happen many times during breaks at work. When I hear others complaining about someone speaking their native language, I don’t like it, but if there is a room full of people I also feel it can come across as impolite to others. People can feel that they are being talked about or any number of thoughts can be going through their minds. This is a touchy topic because I feel everyone should be able to converse in their given language-just be polite when others are around.

This week has made me more aware of how I look at other cultures because I realize that I also have done the stereotyping of others throughout my life and it is not fair to lump people together just because they all speak the same language or come from the same place. We are all different no matter what and I am working hard to keep that thought in mind at all times. I went to a training today and the room was filled with educators from many different cultures (a big melting pot in one room) but each one of us was focused on the same thing-how to teach and care for young children that are entrusted to us each day.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I agree that it is very easy to judge others before even getting to know them. This week has really helped me gain a different perspective on things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can say that I have the same issue with language diversity Susan! I live in California and the Hispanic Culture is becoming the majority in my community. I'm not quick to become upset with them speaking in their native language when others are around. I look at it as their way of honoring their culture and I don't think as deep as to wondering is they are talking about me or not. The only time I get mad is when I meet Hispanic that has been her for years and can not speak english at all. I'm working on not getting frustrated with this issue and the things we are learning in this course are really helping me!I hope it's doing the same for you! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete