Thursday, February 28, 2013

Week 8: Final Post for EDUC-6164

Blog: Professional Hopes and Goals

One hope that you have when you think about working with children and families who come from diverse backgrounds (any format and any length)

My hope when it comes to working with children and families are that I can know understand their cultures better and truly honor and respect their feelings while caring for the children. I also hope that I continue to make my families feel safe and secure in my care. I want my families to feel that they can come to me about anything and that I will do whatever I can to meet their needs.

One goal you would like to set for the early childhood field related to issues of diversity, equity, and social justice (any format and any length)

My main goal that I am striving for through my education is to make my families feel comfortable no matter where they come from, what makes my classroom great is that I have children that come from many cultures and their diversity adds to the class because we can all learn at the same time so many unique aspects that others might not know. We can then share our knowledge with other classrooms by being class buddies and I will continue to share the same information at staff meetings and other functions. By involving the children in the sharing part, I am showing them that I respect their diversity and want them to feel welcome at all times. I have a collection of books, pictures, toys and instruments that I use from around the world in my classroom. By learning their languages and including resources from their cultures I am better able to show how much they mean to my classroom.

A brief note of thanks to your colleagues

I would like to say thank you to all the great professionals I have had the opportunity to interact with since starting my Masters Program here at Walden. I have truly enjoyed reading your posts and gaining new insights from everyone. I wish everyone the best on the continuing journey and hope to work with many of you until the end. I could never put into words my appreciation for your help and support from the beginning.

3 comments:

  1. Susan,

    I wanted to thank you for sharing your experiences. I love the idea of having children be a part of the sharing. I have always said that children have amazing things to share if we just take the time to listen. I wish you the best in all your future endeavors and look forward to working with you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to say thank you for everything that you have given me though this course. Your experiences and ideas have made me become a better person and better educator. I hope you succeed in all our goals and hopefully I will be able to work with you again in the future. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and opinions and I wish youthe very best along your journey.

    ReplyDelete