Saturday, February 23, 2013

Week 7 Blog

Blog week 7: Welcoming Families From Around the World

The name of “your” family’s country of origin: Africa

At least five ways in which you will prepare yourself to be culturally responsive towards this family

I will first and foremost want to learn some key information about the area in Africa that they are from so that I am familiar with their customs. It is very important to know background information before the child arrives so that you are able to help them feel comfortable even on the first day.

I would learn some basic phrases in their language so they again will feel more at home in a strange new place. It is also important that I know about their holidays and I should have books and pictures in the room of familiar activities.

I would have information in my classroom for the family that is in their home language and English. This information would be for our school’s handbook and what is happening in the classroom.

I would also want to have toys and other familiar items in the classroom to help the child feel comfortable. I could have ethnic foods, clothing and dolls in the dramatic play area to help them see familiar materials at school.

It is important to make the whole family feel welcome so inviting them to school activities and meetings is another great way to help them feel welcome in the new school and community. New families need to know their opinion counts and that we are there to help them acclimate to their new home.

A brief statement describing in what ways you hope that these preparations will benefit both you and the family

It is my hope that by making these preparations I will be better equipped to successfully embrace my new child and their family. I hope to be able to show that I want to learn as much from them as I want to teach them by becoming a part of my school. If I can show that I want us to be a team and share our knowledge with each other-I think we can do beautiful things together and help the children learn more in this way.

5 comments:

  1. Susan,

    I love the idea of having toys and foods represented of the country in the classroom. I had not thought of representations of the country beyond books in home language, picture cards with both languages, and posters/pictures of the different cultures in the classroom. Great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan I like the way you referred to the entire family and not just the child like I did. Doing so in it self will prepare you for and surprise arrivals and help the child feel totally accepted. Your preparation ideas should help the child adjust perfectly, awesome thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the way that you included the whole family instead of just the child. It is important to make sure that the whole family does feel comfortable to be able to build a stronger bond together. I did not think of having toys, and with young children that would really be beneficial for them. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!
    it is very interesting to see that we have several similar things we would do prior to the arrival of the new child. It is important for them to feel welcome and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had some really great ideas in order to make the family feel comfortable in the new enviroment. Great thinking on toys they always make a child smile!

    ReplyDelete