Saturday, March 17, 2012

Personal Childhood Web

This week our assignment was to right about five people tht had an impact on our lives growing up and maybe even now. There are not many people that I can truly say have had a lasting impact on my life, but I will try to put some out here. I am starting this way because I have lived with many people throughout my early years and at times it was very hard to come to terms with what and why things happened the way they did. It was not until years later that I finally came to terms with "there is a reason for everything-and I will find out the plan at the appointed time and place".

1. The first person I will talk about is my mom: I pick her because for the first eleven years of my life she was one of the constants for me. When I was two my dad died so my mom was left to raise five children alone. Not only did she have to raise us away from any family, but during my childhood she found out she had cancer and still made sure we had everything we needed. She was a very strong woman and showed me that when you put your mind to something-you will succeed no matter the obstacles put in your way. My mother was always there to listen and hold us when we needed it and always told us that whatever the problem was-it would work out! My mom always made sure I knew that she was there for me and would help me with anything I needed. She made me feel special because of how she treated each of us as a separate person and did not compare us; she knew that we were all different. I think my mom helped me to be the person I am today because she helped me understand that each person is an individual.

My mom and dad

2. The second person I will talk about is my older brother Carl that has played a very big role in my life because he was one of the main people that helped to make it through the difficult time after my mom passed away when I was four days away from being twelve years old. Even though he already had a family of his own, he took all three of us girls and for me this was very special. It is hard enough to raise your own family, but to take on your sisters was a big challenge for him and I feel he has been an inspiration then and now because he gave unselfishly in order to keep us together. He was always encouraging and keep pushing us to do better and I thank him for instilling in me the value and belief that I would complete all I put my mind too. He has been through many hard times and yet he still remembers each of us and is only a phone call away.

My brother Carl
3. Third on my list is my Uncle Charlie, my uncle was the next person to take us in after my brother and we stayed with him for a few years until it became too much of a family hardship. My uncle had five children of his own, so it was difficult to add more at this time. My uncle was the one in the home that seemed to understand what we were going through and helped us along the way. My uncle was the backbone of the family and I was truly sad when I had to say goodbye and leave. He showed me things about my mom that I would have never known and I thank him for that. He helped to put my family history in perspective and I continue to build on the history that he started and try to share it with the family I still have. Thank you Uncle Charlie for being a figure I could look up too and wish I could still talk with you today.

My Uncle Charlie
4. The fourth person on my list is my foster dad that I lived with for six years/through my high school years. He was the one at home that I could count on to listen to my problems and help me figure out what to do. My foster dad was the person during these years that helped me gain insight into what I needed to do in order to move forward and find what family I had left in the area. He helped put me in touch with people that took the extra steps to find my sisters and brother so I could rejoin them. If I ever had a problem I could talk to him and he would help me understand why I should do something or not. My foster dad helped me gain some of the values/beliefs I live by and have raised my own children by. If I had not met him I don’t think I would be the person I am today-so I say thank you.
My foster dad

5. The last person I will talk about is the teacher that made the biggest impact on my life after my mom died and I went to live with my last foster family. Mr. EcKard was a major influence during my junior and senior years of school. I remember walking in on my first day at my new school and he was there to help me and each day I knew I could go to him about anything. Mr. Eckard was my favorite teacher while at Gavit-he was always there when I needed someone to talk to. He helped me find my place when I first moved to the area and I will never forget him.


       Mr. EcKard

2 comments:

  1. You've had wonderful people influence your life at an early stage. We share many similarities. I, too, lost my dad at an early age (3 years old) and my mom had to work to support a large family (9 children). Also, my siblings were great influences in my life. Finally, my mom raised 5 foster children and my husband and I are training to become foster parents. Our circle of support has helped to mold us into the caring and nurturing individuals we are today.

    Thanks for sharing

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you included a teacher. Teachers play a huge role in children/our growth. I also liked how you had pictures of everyone, I am a visual person. Melanie

    ReplyDelete